Msugh Moses Kembe is a Professor of Statistics. He is a proven erudite scholar and an excellent administrator. He is married to Professor Elizabeth Kembe and the marriage is blessed with four children. Born 54 years ago in Binev Ward, Tombo Mbalagh, Buruku Local Government Area, Benue State.
Professor Kembe joined the services of the Benue State University, Makurdi in 1993 and rose through the ranks to become a Professor of Statistics. Professor Kembe has held various administrative positions at the University, these includes: Dean, Faculty of Science, Deputy Dean, Faculty of Science, Head, Department of Mathematics and Computer Science, Examinations Officer, Department of Mathematics and Computer Science. He offered dedicated and meritorious service to the University in all these capacities.
Professor Kembe has many years of research experience as a consultant with local and international organizations. He has consulted for: the British Department for International Development (DFID), Benue State Health Systems Fund and the State Universal Basic Education Board (SUBEB), Makurdi. He played an invaluable role on the technical team that competed and won the World Bank grant for the establishment of a Centre of Excellence at the Benue State University, Makurdi. Winning accolades for BSU as the only State University in Nigeria to have won this most coveted award. Professor Kembe has attended many conferences, seminars and workshops and has published both nationally and internationally in reputable journals. Professor Kembe has special interest in operations research which is essentially concerned with optimal allocation of resource and how this can be applied in education, business, industry, commerce, healthcare and many other fields.
Professor Kembe has rendered many community services to his country and has received many awards from corporate organizations and communities toward his enormous contributions to humanity. He is a member of many professional Organizations and Associations including: the Institute of Mediators and Conciliators, Statistical Association of Nigeria, Contact Friendship Club 1994. A devout and deep-rooted Christian of the Catholic denomination, Professor Kembe is a Knight of Columbus (KofC), the first in Africa.
He is widely travelled and his hobbies include tennis, football and cool music.
Full Name: KEMBE, Moses Msugh
Date and Place of Birth: 10th October, 1962; Sev-av Tombo Mbalagh
Permanent Home Address: Binev Ward, Tombo Mbalagh Buruku Local Government, Benue State.
Current Contact Address: Office of the Vice-Chancellor,
Benue State University, Makurdi.
Phone Number: +2348036177129
Marital Status: Married
Number of Children: Four (Angbiandoo, Dooyum, Terseer & Terna).
Current Rank & Salary: Professor – UASS 7/10
Bristow Secondary School, Gboko 1974-1979
University of Jos, Jos 1980-1984
University of Nigeria Nsukka 1990-1992
University of Agriculture, Makurdi 2006-2009
West African School Certificate (WASC) 1979
B.Sc. Mathematics 1984
M.Sc. Statistics (Operations research) 1992
PhD Statistics 2009
General Field of Interest: Applied Statistics
Area of specialization: Operations Research and Stochastic Processes
Research Areas of interest: The application of Statistics in the Health Sciences; Stochastic modeling in Health, Agriculture and biological Sciences; Models for the Control of HIV/AIDS
i) Member, Statistical Association of Nigeria
ii) Member, Makurdi Club
iii) Member, Contact Friendship Club Makurdi.
1. Benue State Government Undergraduate Scholarship (1980-1984)
2. Federal Government Postgraduate Scholarship (1991-1992)
3. First PhD graduate in Statistics, University of Agriculture Makurdi (2009)
4. Merit award for Excellence and Humanitarian service, awarded by Association of Computer and Mathematics Students (AMACOSS) BSU Chapter (2008)
5. Distinguished Lecturer Award, awarded by M.Sc. Accounting and finance Students, BSU, Class of 2007/2008
Tutor: Igueben Girls’ Secondary School(NYSC) 1984-1985
Assistant Lecturer Department of Mathematics, College of Education Katsina-Ala 1985-1987
Lecturer III Department of Mathematics, College of Education Katsina-Ala 1987-1989
Lecturer II Department of Mathematics, College of Education Katsina-Ala 1989-1991
Lecturer I Department of Mathematics, College of Education Katsina-Ala 1991-1993
Lecturer II Department of Mathematics, Benue State University, Makurdi 1993-1997
Lecturer I Department of Mathematics, Benue State University, Makurdi 1997-2002
Senior Lecturer Department of Mathematics, Benue State University, Makurdi 2002-2009
Associate Professor Department of Mathematics, University of Jos, Jos Sabbatical leave 2010-2011
Associate Professor Department of Mathematics, Benue State University, Makurdi 2009-2012
Professor, Department of Mathematics, Benue State University, Makurdi 2012- Date
1.Examinations Officer, Department of mathematics College of Education Katsina-Ala (1987-1990).
2. Associate Editor, Journal of Science and Technological Education
3. Coach, Table Tennis, College of Education Katsina- Ala
4. Examination Officer, Department of Mathematics, Benue State University (1993-1999)
5. Coach, Table tennis, Benue State University, Makurdi (1995- 2000)
6. Principal Consultant, ADI-ASS Consultancy and General Services, Makurdi
7. Deputy Dean, Faculty of Science, Benue State University, Makurdi (2002-2005)
8. Ag. Head of Department, Mathematics and Computer Science (2004- 2009)
9. Secretary, Committee on production of handouts, Faculty of Science, Benue State University, Makurdi (1995)
10. Secretary, Committee on Investigation on fire outbreak at the Faculty of Science building, Benue State University, Makurdi (1995
11. Member, Senate Standing Committee on ICT (2006-date)
12. Member, Committee on the investigation of missing books in the Law Library of Benue State University.
13. Chairman, Committee to investigate missing of copies of the Benue Valley Journal in the Dean of Science’s Office.
14. Member, Committee to investigate students’ riot 2004
15. Member of Senate, Benue State University, Makurdi (200-2009), (2011-Date
16. Member, Postgraduate Board, Benue State University, Makurdi(2009-date)
17. Dean, Faculty of Science, Benue State University, Makurdi, 2011-date
18. Member, Implementation Committee on Benue State University African Centre of Excellence 2014
19. Chairman, ASUU BSU Committee on the Computation of Earned Allowances for Academic Staff 2014
i) Consultant with Benue Health Fund (DFID) to analyse Baseline data for four Hospitals namely General; Hospital, Gboko, Otukpo, Katsina-Ala and N.K.S. T. Hospital Mbaakon (1998).
ii) Consultant with Liverpool Associate in Tropical Health LATH to analyse data on the HIV/AIDs Management (2001)
iii) Consultant with Benue State ARH Project in Nigeria to analyse Baseline data on HIV/AIDS(2001)
iv) Consultant with Benue State Government to collect data on the displaced people of Nasarawa, Plateau and Taraba states living in Benue State as refugees (2001/2002).
v) Consultant with Benue State Government to collect data on people affected by the Army invasion of towns and villages in Benue State (2002)
vi) Consultant with Makurdi Local Government on designing a staff audit system for the local government (2001/2002)
vii) Conducted Feasibility Study for the Establishment of Entrepreneur Villages in Benue State (Produced for NIR/98/200-UNDP Assisted Job Creation and Sustainable Livelihood Programme (Benue State) August 2001.
viii) Consultant with State and Local Government Programme (SLGP) a DFID- sponsored Programme for the Assessment of Human Resource in the Benue State Civil Service, May, 2002.
ix) Consultant with SLGP on Change Management and Performance Management in Benue State Civil Service. April, 2003.
x) Consultant with SUBEB on the Development of Staff database System(2004-2006)
a) M.Sc. Thesis
Optimal Allocation of Farm Tractors: A case study of Benue Tractors Hiring Agency (BENTHA). A Published M.Sc. Thesis, University of Nigeria, Nsukka, 1992.
b) PhD Thesis
A Two-Stage Probability Model for HIV/AIDS Infection in the Presence of Antiretroviral Therapy.
c) Journal Papers
1) Ada, N. A. and Kembe, M. M. (1997). An Investigation into Teacher Perceived Difficulty Concepts in Teaching Primary Science, Benue State University Journal of Education Vol. 1, pp 5-9.
2) Kembe, M. M. (1998). Adoption of Quantitative Techniques in Industry. Journal of science and Technological education Vol. 3 pp 123-133.
3) Kimbir, R., Chiawa, M. & Kembe, M (1996). The Dynamics of certain Time-Discrete Populations Afflicted by fatal disease, Nigerian Journal of Mathematics and Applications Vol. 9, pp 213-233.
4) Kimbir, R. A. & Kembe, M. M. (2002). Multiple Linear Regression Via Principal Component Analysis. Science Forum Journal of Pure and Applied Sciences Vol. 6 (1), pp 113-117
5) Korve, K. N. & Kembe, M. M. (2001). An Application of operation research in management of AIDS in Nigeria. Nigerian Journal of Pure and Applied Sciences Vol.2, pp 24-30.
6) Kembe, M. & Kembe, E. (2001). Strategies for effective teaching of primary mathematics; a resource oriented approach. Benue State University Journal of Education Vol. 3, pp 179-183.
7) Kembe, M. M. & Kembe, E. M. (2004). Application of operations research in Home Management Annals of Research in Nigeria, Vol. 4 No 1 & 2, pp 63-69.
8) Kembe, E. M. & Kembe, M. M (2004). Adolescent sexual beheviour and its implications for the Nigerian family. The journal of family development Vol. 1, No. 2, pp 103-111.
9) Korve, Kembe, Adee & Imande (2005). A Review of the Application in the Health Sector in Africa. Bagale Journal of Pure and Applied Sciences, 4, 21-28
10) Osuagwu, O. E., Kembe, M. and Ge, T. (2007). Blocking Credit Card Theft through Biometric Authentication Systems Proceedings of the International Conference of Nigeria Computer Society Theme: Achieving Millennium Development Goals in Nigeria IT Strategies and Tools. Owerri.
11. Korve, N. and Kembe, M. (2007). Mathematical Models for Disease Control and Outcome; A Review. International Journal of Physical Sciences Vol.3No.2, pp 85-92.
12. Kimbir, R. and Kembe, M. (2008). Predicting the Effect of Extensive use of Antiretroviral Therapies and the condom on the spread of HIV/AIDS. Nigerian Journal of Pure and Applied Sciences Vol.1pp 25-30
13. Kembe, M., Onah, S and Kimbir, R (2008). A two- stage stochastic model for HIV infection and AIDS in the Presence of Anti Retroviral Therapy. Nigerian Journal of Pure and Applied Sciences Vol. 1 pp.54-61
14. Kimbir,R, Chiawa, M.A and Kembe, M(2003). A mathematical model for the stable students’ population dynamics in Nigerian universities. ABACUS: The Journal of Math Assoc. of Nigeria Vol.30. 2A, Mathematics Series pp 88-94.
15. Pwasong, A.D, Kembe, M.M and Audu, B(2011). The effect of indicator variables on the speed of adopted insurance innovation on size and type of firm. Nigerian Journal of Pure and Applied Sciences, Vol. 4 pp126-131
16. Kembe, M.M , Audu, B and Onoja, S (2011). Statistical analysis of internally generated revenue. Nigerian Journal of Pure and Applied Sciences, Vol. 4. Pp132-138
17. Kembe, M.M. and Iorkegh, S(2012). Application of queuing models in the clinical section of a hospital in Benue State. West African Journal of Industrial and academic Research, Vol.2 www.wajiaredu.com
18. Kembe, M.M and Soomiyol, C.(2012). Current trends in Mathematics. West African Journal of Industrial and academic Research, Vol.1, (3). Pp 132-137.www.wajiaredu.com
19. Kembe, M.M, and Kembe, M.E. (2012). Statistical Analysis of Deviance Among Children. West African Journal of Industrial and academic Research, Vol. IV, pp 85-90. www.wajiaredu.com
20. Kembe, M.M. , Iorkegh, S and Ogbuagwu, C (2012). An application of queuing theory in an Automated Teller Machine (ATM) system. Microwave- International Journal of Science & Technology and Technology Vol. I (3). www.mijstedu.com
21. Kembe, M.M, Ona, E. S and Iorkegh, S (2012). A Study of waiting and service Costs of a Multi-server Queuing Model in a Specialist Hospital. International Journal of Scientific and Technology Research, Vol.1, Issue 8, pp 19-23. www.ijstr.org
22. Kembe, M. M. (2012). Combining High Tech with Human Touch by Doctors at the Federal Medical Centre Makurdi. Proceedings of the 38th conference of the EURO working group Operational Research Applied to Health Services (ORAHS) July 15-20, 2012, University of Twente, Enschede, The Netherlands ISBN: 978-90-365-3396-6
23. Jombo,G.T.A, Akaakuma, A, Kembe M. M. and Hemba S.H (2012).Aids Control In Benue State North-Central Nigeria: Challenges, Solutions And Prospects. Accepted for publication in American Journal of Research in Biology (2012) 1(1): 001-008. www.amjbiol.com
d) Commissioned Technical/Research Reports
1) Kembe, M. & Agir, B. (1998). Analysis of Baseline Data for four Hospitals namely, GH, Gboko, GH Otukpo, GH, Katsina-Ala and NKST Hospital Mbaakon, commissioned work by Benue Health Fund.
2) Merrick Jones & Kembe Moses Msugh (2002); Assessment of Human Resources in the Benue State Government, DFID. www.slgpnigeria.org/uploads/File/401.pdf
3) Merrick Jones & Kembe Moses Msugh (2002); Human Resources Development in Benue State Government Strategy and Activity Development, DFID.
4) Merrick Jones, Bankole Oni and Moses Msugh Kembe (2002); HRM Strategy and Activity Development, DFID www.slgpnigeria.org/uploads/File/402.pdf
1) Ada, N.A., Banke, R.O.K. and Kembe, M.M. (2002). Introduction to Scientific Thinking. Abogom Press Makurdi-Nigeria.
2) Kembe, M. Imande, M. & Gbaden, T. (2003). Introductory Computer Science for undergraduates; Selfers Publishers, Makurdi, Nigeria.
3) Ugbem, P. O., Chiawa, M. A., Kembe, M. M. & Egahi M. (2004). University Pre-Degree Mathematics; Selfers Publishers, Makurdi.
4) Kembe, M and Imande M(2004). Introduction to Business Mathematics for the Management and Social Sciences; Selfers Publishers, Makurdi.
5) Adagba, S.T(2008). Remedial Mathematics Past questions and Answers from 1999-2005 (Edited by Kembe, M, Ugbem P and Egahi M.)
f) Conference and Workshops Attended
i) Science Week College of Education Katsina-Ala, 1989. Paper presented : The Need or Mathematics Education for Politicians in the Third Republic.
ii) School of Vocation and Technical education Week may, 1992. Paper Presented: Optimizing Food Output Through the Use of Tractors in Benue State.
iii) Workshop on Foundation Postgraduate course in Probability Theory, Asymptotic Inference and Optimization, National Mathematical centre Abuja, Nigeria, September, 1991.
iv) e-Nigeria 2004 Implementing the WSIS Process in West Africa. ECOWAS conference Hall, Asokoro, Abuja Nigeria, 24th-26th May, 2004
v) International Workshop and conference on Application of Mathematics and Computer Science in Solving Real World Problems, Covenant University, Otta, Ogun State , 2006.
vi) International Workshop and Conference on New Direction in the Mathematical and Computer Sciences at National University Commission (NUC), Abuja 8th – 13th October, 2007
vii) International Conference on ICT Applications, Conference Center, Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife, 28th – 30th September, 2009.
viii) Advocacy Workshop on the Operationalization of the States Statistical Master Plan, Conference Hall, National Bureau of Statistics, Central Business District, Abuja, 19-20 November, 2009.
g) Seminars Given/Attended
i) Kembe, M.M. Application of a First Order Differential Equation in Modeling of Population Dynamics, Paper presented at the Faculty of Science Seminar, Benue State University, Makurdi on 20th May, 1998.
ii) Kembe, M.M. The Place of Mathematics in our Every Day Life, Paper presented at UNICEF/SPEB Seminar at Bem Hotel Makurdi from 17th June- 20th June, 1998.
iii) Kembe, M.M. Resources for Effective Teaching of Primary Mathematics, paper presented at UNICEF/SPEB seminar at Bem Hotel Makurdi from 17th – 20th June 1998.
iv) Kembe, M.M. A Two-Stage Stochastic Model for HIV Infection and AIDS in the Presence of Antiretroviral Therapy. PhD seminar, Department of Mathematics/Statistics/Computer Science University of Agriculture, Makurdi ,April, 2008.
v) Kembe, M.M. Optimal Allocation of Farm Tractors: A case study of Benue Tractors Hiring Agency (BENTHA). M.Sc. Thesis, Department of Statistics, University of Nigeria, Nsukka, 1992.
vi) Kembe, M.M. Computer Fundamentals: Understanding and Using the Computer System. Paper presented at a Computer Training Workshop for Mangers/ Officers of Community Banks at Mid-Way Inn, Makurdi from March 18-19, 2004
vii) Kembe, M.M. Computer Applications in Revenue Collection, Saving, Remittance and Management for Effective Revenue Administration in Benue State. Paper presented at the workshop on tapping of full Revenue Potentials in Benue State held at the Indoor Hall of Aminu Isa Kontagora Arts Theatre, Makurdi, 5th -7th April, 2004
viii) International conference on operational research informing national health policy, ORAHS Cardiff, 24th – 29th July 2011, Poster paper presented: a two-stage probability model for HIV/AIDS infection in the presence of antiretroviral therapy.
ix) Silver Jubilee celebration of BAA 1986 set at Bristow Secondary school Gboko, 1st October, 2011. Paper presented.: Information and communication Technology(ICT) as a tool for survival in the 21st century.
a) Course Taught
1) MTH 104 – Elementary Mathematics III
2) MTH 131 – Statistics for physical sciences and engineering
3) GST 108 – Introduction to Computer Science
4) MTH 201 – Mathematical Methods
5) MTH 231 – Probability I
6) MTH 208 – Elementary Differential Equation I
7) MTH 307 – Real Analysis II
8) MTH 308 – Introduction to Mathematical Modeling
9) MTH 303 – Complex Analysis I
10) CMP 206 – Introduction to Operation Research I
11) MTH 316– Introduction to Operations Research II
12) MTH 312– Optimization Theory
13) MTH 331– Probability II
14) MTH 427– Statistical Inference
b) Postgraduate Level
i) ADPM 509 – Statistical Methods
ii) MGS 505 – Quantitative Techniques in Management
iii) SSC 603 – Analytical Research Techniques
iv) STA 612– Advanced Statistical Methods
v) ACC 704 – Computer Applications in Accounting and Auditing
c) Postgraduate Supervision
(i) Iorkegh, Simon(MSc/3697/010).A study of waiting and service costs by a multi- server queuing model in a specialist hospital
(ii) Owuna, David (MSc/3702/010).A queuing model for bed-occupancy management in a geriatric ward of a hospital
(iii) Shior, Msuur Mary-Ann (MSc/3706/010). An extension of the mathematical model for the dynamics of malaria by human host and mosquito vector with temporary immunity.
Postgraduate Diploma (2000/2001)
(i) The Application of Ratio Analysis as an Analytical Tool for Effective Management.
(ii) Information management as a Survival Tool for Hospitality Industry in Benue State.
d) B.Sc. Projects Supervised
The following projects were supervised:
i) Application of Markov Chains in the prediction of market shares
i) Analysis of Logistic Model of population Growth of Gwer Local Government of Benue State.
ii) Vector Analysis: Functions their Derivatives and Applications
iii) Gaussian Elimination and its application to Evaluation of System of Linear Equations
iv) Application of Multiple Linear Regression in the Analysis of Internally Generated Revenue in Okpokwu Local Government of Benue State.
v) A Mathematical Model for the prevention of HIV/AIDS in a Varying Population using Vaccine.
I supervised 2 students in the area of mathematical modeling and software development.
I supervised 12 students in the areas of general mathematics, statistics, computer science and mathematical modeling.
Tennis, Travelling, and Chess.
1. Prof. Zacharys Anger Gundu
Pro-Chancellor and Chairman of Council
Benue State University, Makurdi
2. Prof. E. H. Agba
Former Vice Chancellor,
University of Mkar, Mkar
3. Prof. R. A. Kimbir
University of Agriculture
|Andrew Aondoakaa Anjah||Special Assistant to Vice-Chancellor||08035972825|
|David Ugbem Oibe||Protocol Officer||08034128580
|Benjamin Bem Bura||Personal Secretary to