Press Release of Collapsed Building in Benue State University
On Sunday, 18th November 2018 at about 8:30 a.m., a wing of the Faculty of Social Sciences Complex housing the Lecture Auditorium collapsed tragically.
2) Happening on a Sunday when there were no activities in the complex, no life was lost except the damage to some property in the wing of the building and structural destruction of the complex itself.
3) The Vice-Chancellor and Management of the University are saddened about the unfortunate event but encouraged by those who have expressed genuine concern about it.
4) For the purpose of clarity, the building in question is not an ongoing project. Contrary to misinformation being bandied about on the project, the structure is one of those whose contracts was awarded in 2013 when the University accessed a 3 billion Naira Tetfund high-impact intervention for upgrading of facilities in public universities.
5) The contract period for the building, whose cost was about two hundred and eighty (N280,000,000) million, was 2 years. Consequently, in May 2015, the University formally took possession of the property while its official inauguration was performed by the immediate past Vice-Chancellor, Prof. Charity Ashimem Angya on 28th October, 2015.
6) It is pertinent to state that, like all projects involving TETFund, all due diligence for pre-qualification leading to award of contracts was done for this one too.
7) For this reason, Management of the University would like to appeal for restraint on comments regarding the incident while proper and professional investigations are carried out.
8) In the meantime, steps have been taken to restrict access into the remaining part of the building while an integrity test will also be carried out on all buildings and structures completed on the University campus recently, especially those funded through various Interventions.
9) I wish to assure the public that professional bodies such as the Council for Registered Engineers of Nigeria (COREN), Nigerian Society of Engineers (NSE) and Nigerian Institute of Quantity Surveyors (NIQS) will be involved in this assignment and the outcome will be made public.
10) Let me place on record here that the award, construction, completion and handover of the project has no link whatsoever to the present administration in the State.
Professor Msugh Moses Kembe