Deputy Vice-Chancellor Academics
The Deputy Vice Chancellor (Academics) assists the Vice Chancellor in the performance of his functions.
Professor Joel Obo Eriba was born on the 5th October, 1958 in Ichakobe, Ibilla, Oju Local Government Area of Benue State Nigeria, he is married with four children.
• Professor Eriba attended Wesley Transferred School, Ibilla where he obtained his First School Leaving Certificate between 1968 and 1974
• Professor Eriba also attended Government College, Makurdi and obtained a West African School Certificate between 1974 and 1979
• He then proceeded to University of Ilorin where he earned a Bachelor of Science in Education & Chemistry between 1979 and 1983
• Between 1990 and 1992, Professor Eriba also attended the University of Jos where he obtained his master’s degree, M.Ed. (Science).
• He later got his PhD degree in the same University of Jos, PhD (Science Education) between 1997 and 2001.
Eight Honours and Merit Awards from Communities and Associations for recognition, distinguished services, and exemplary leadership roles in my profession.
One Year of National Service, 16 years at Colleges of Education level & 10 years at the University.
At the university level, I was Head of Department for 4 years, Deputy Dean of Post Graduate School for 5 years and now, Director of Academic Planning at the Benue State University, Makurdi.
Membership of Professional Associations:
Member, Nigerian Association of Professional Educators (MNAPE), Associate Member, Science Teachers
Association of Nigeria (MSTAN), Member, National Association of Curriculum Theorists (MNACT), and Member, League of Researchers in Nigeria. (MLRN)
I am an Editor to 8 reputable Academic Journals.
External Moderation/Accreditation / Visiting Lectureship Experience:
These I do to 5 Institutions of higher learning in Nigeria at various times.
PhD Theses Successfully Supervised:
Four while 10 are on-going, M.Ed Dissertations Successfully, Supervised: Over 20.
Courses Taught (Many of which I still teach)
1. Undergraduate Level:
• ISC 403(Seminar in Integrated Science),EDS 402( Science Methods III),PSC 406( Advanced Seminar in Primary Science),EDU 302 (Educational Research Methods),EDS 302( The School Science Laboratory),ISC 201 ( Growth and Change),ISC 203 ( Systems and Organization) GST 106 (Introduction to Scientific Thinking), PSC 103(Nature of Matter), PSC 203 (Energy and Particles)
2. Post Graduate Level:
ECT 742(History and philosophy of science Education), ECT 743(Laboratory Techniques and Improvisation), ECT 835(Special topics in Science Education – PhD), EDU 802 (Advanced Research Methods in Education – PhD) & ECT 836 (Science and Society-PhD).
Attitude Studies in Science Education and related pedagogical issues.
Personal Thesis, Dissertation and Project Topics1.
• Ph.D: Effectiveness of the Persuasive Communication Model in Changing Students’ Attitude towards Science Enrolment in Benue State Secondary Schools, 2001
• M. Ed: A Study of the Relationship between Attitudes of Colleges of Education Students towards Science and their Achievement in Science, 1991
• B. Sc(Ed): A Survey of the Curriculum of Science Education in Selected Secondary Schools in Oju, LGA, 1983.
On-going Collaborative Research with Professors Elizabeth Y. Gyuse and Emmanuel Achor (ETF- Sponsored): Peer Mentoring as an Intervention Strategy for improving Classroom Interaction among
Science Teachers in Secondary Schools in Benue State of Nigeria(2010-2012).
Co-authored Book with Professor R.M.O Samba: Laboratory Techniques and the Art of Improvisation (2011, 84pp).
Publications: 48 published Articles in reputable journals and Books and over 50 Conference /Workshop papers.